Careers at ViaCyte
ViaCyte employees are part of a professional team focused on creating and commercializing cell therapies for diabetes. ViaCyte provides a positive and collaborative work environment where ideas are welcomed and respected. This dynamic atmosphere has contributed to valuable research discoveries and encourages fun, enthusiastic and active participation in the company’s success. ViaCyte is an equal opportunity employer that offers competitive salaries, benefits and exciting opportunities for career development and growth.
ViaCyte is a leading privately-held regenerative medicine company developing novel cell replacement therapies as potential long-term diabetes treatments to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia and diabetes-related complications. ViaCyte’s product candidates are based on the derivation of pancreatic progenitor cells, which are then implanted in a durable and retrievable encapsulation device. Once implanted and matured, these cells are designed to secrete insulin and other regulatory factors in response to blood glucose levels. ViaCyte has two products in development. The PEC-Direct product candidate delivers the pancreatic progenitor cells in a non-immunoprotective device and is being developed for type 1 diabetes patients that have severe hypoglycemic episodes, extreme glycemic lability, and/or impaired hypoglycemia awareness. The PEC-Encap (formerly VC-01) product candidate delivers pancreatic progenitor cells in an immunoprotective device and is currently being evaluated in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial in patients with type 1 diabetes who have minimal to no insulin-producing beta cell function.
Under minimal supervision, the Manufacturing Associate will perform a broad range of activities to manufacture combination cell therapy/device products under cGMP for use in pre-clinical & clinical studies. This is a full time position. Essential duties will include:
- Perform manufacturing activities according to standard operating procedures (SOPs), including thawing, culturing, and differentiating cells.
- Perform aseptic Fill operations as part of a team.
- Maintain batch and system records as required throughout the manufacturing process.
- Convert manufacturing practices into written SOPs and batch records.
- Prepare media and other reagents according to SOPs and maintain inventory for these materials.
- Ensure finished products comply with applicable Regulations, cGMPs, QA/QC and safety requirements.
- Design, execute, and report on experiments intended to improve Manufacturing processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or related discipline. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the job duties as listed above is acceptable.
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience working in a pharmaceutical, biotech, or drug manufacturing environment, with working knowledge of clean room practices.
- Demonstrated experience with aseptic cell culture methods, including cryopreserving, thawing, and expanding cell lines. Production experience with devices, proteins and other biologicals helpful.
- Ability and willingness to perform a wide variety of tasks – from those which are routine in nature to those which require independent thought and analysis.
- Must be highly detail oriented with excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Must be skilled in the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
- Must be available to work weekend and holiday shifts.
The ideal candidate will be technically strong and adept at managing multiple priorities. Our business moves at a rapid pace, making resourcefulness and flexibility key contributors to success.
For submission by e-mail, attach your resume and cover letter as a Word or PDF file. In the Subject line, type Job Code #2016-3 and your full name. Send to email@example.com. Our mailing address: ViaCyte, Inc., 3550 General Atomics Court B2-503, San Diego, California, 92121.