ViaCyte is a privately-held regenerative medicine company developing novel cell replacement therapies as potential long-term diabetes treatments to achieve glucose control targets and reduce the risk of hypoglycemia and diabetes-related complications. ViaCyte’s product candidates are based on the derivation of pancreatic progenitor cells from stem cells, which are then implanted in durable and retrievable cell delivery devices. Once implanted and matured, these cells are designed to secrete insulin and other pancreatic hormones in response to blood glucose levels. ViaCyte has two product candidates in clinical-stage development. The PEC-Direct™ product candidate (also known as VC-02) delivers the pancreatic progenitor cells in a non-immunoprotective device and is being developed for type 1 diabetes patients who have hypoglycemia unawareness, extreme glycemic lability, and/or recurrent severe hypoglycemic episodes. The PEC-Encap™ (also known as VC-01) product candidate delivers the same pancreatic progenitor cells in an immunoprotective device and is being developed for all patients with diabetes, type 1 and type 2, who use insulin. ViaCyte is also developing immune-evasive ‘universal donor’ stem cell lines, from its proprietary CyT49 cell line, expected to further broaden the availability of cell therapy for diabetes and other indications. ViaCyte is headquartered in San Diego, California. The Company is funded in part by the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) and JDRF. For more information on ViaCyte, please visit www.viacyte.com and connect with ViaCyte on Twitter and Facebook.
ViaCyte is seeking a highly motivated and talented individual to join the Process Development (PD) team in developing scalable production processes in bioreactors for a cell-based therapy to treat diabetes. The primary activities of the PD Associate/Engineer I will be to design and perform human embryonic stem cell (hESC) expansion and pancreatic cell differentiation experiments in small- and pilot-scale bioreactor systems to test feasibility and perform process optimization and characterization as well as develop closed processes for media exchange and cell harvest. Secondary activities include lab management, data entry, and support of other PD projects. This is a full-time position located in San Diego.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Plan cell culture activities required to grow and differentiate hESCs in closed, suspension bioreactor systems.
2. Develop and define key bioreactor control parameters that maintain cell properties and allow for process reproducibility and scalability.
3. Optimize and close bioreactor cell culture processing activities by integrating new technologies
4. Execute cell culture and analytical experiments under written protocols. Cell culture will be performed using multiple platforms (e.g. multi-layer cell factories, roller bottles, bioreactors, etc.). Assay methods include, but are not limited to, gene expression, whole genome profiling, flow cytometry, and metabolite analysis.
5. Document experimental procedures and results according to established guidelines. Present updates and results at internal PD team and company meetings.
6. Perform statistical data analysis in JMP and other software platforms
7. Collaborate with external departments (e.g. Quality, Manufacturing, Engineering)
8. Support general laboratory and equipment maintenance as required.
• Experience with mammalian cell culture (stem cells preferred), and/or in a cGMP manufacturing/laboratory environment required.
• Experience with suspension bioreactor systems is preferred.
• Must have a flexible schedule and be able to work some weekends and holidays.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Ability to follow detailed instructions and to maintain detailed and accurate records and notes.
• Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks and changing priorities, when required.
• Skill in problem solving and troubleshooting.
• Ability to safely operate production equipment in accordance with established practices.
• Must be skilled in the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, imaging and illustrating software, and specialized applications in use in the laboratory.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
• Willingness to learn and contribute, with a team-oriented attitude.
• Must possess experience, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the essential duties listed in the previous section.
The ideal candidate will be technically strong and adept at managing multiple priorities. Our business moves at a rapid pace, making resourcefulness and flexibility key contributors to success. This position is not eligible for relocation.
• BS/MS degree that included laboratory work in a Biology, Biomedical Engineering, or related field.
• One or more years of laboratory experience in an academic, biotechnology, or pharmaceutical setting is preferred, or equivalent work experience sufficient for successful performance of the job duties as listed above is acceptable.
For submission by e-mail, attach your resume and cover letter as a Word or PDF file. In the Subject line, type Job Code 2021-15 and your full name. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our mailing address: ViaCyte, Inc., 3550 General Atomics Court B2-503, San Diego, California, 92121.
It is the policy of ViaCyte to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, ViaCyte will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
ViaCyte’s goal is to increase representation of women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities. Our programs are designed to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, directives and regulations and cover all human resource actions including employment, compensation, benefits, training, education, promotions and social/recreational programs.